Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:34:24 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The whole libc thing.

Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:
> [.....]
> > Step 5: <in a while, assuming that 3 and 4 work>
> > 	Bump the major version of libc and start using something like
> > 	peter's change.
>
> Step 5.1:
>         Bump the version number on all libraries that don't contain
>         a dependency on libc but contain __sF references.
>
> And I'm sure there are other horrors there...
>

> For example:
>
>   cd /usr/local/lib
>   for f in lib*.so.*
>   do
>     objdump -x $f | fgrep NEEDED | fgrep -q libc.so. ||
>       nm $f | fgrep -wq __sF && echo $f
>   done
>
> Produces a list of 23 libraries (out of 54) on my laptop :-(  Tell me
> if I'm wrong, but I believe these libraries contain no indication of
> what libc they want, but may be mucking about with stdio internals...
>
> I think step 5 can't happen 'till we declare declare a D-day after
> which old binaries and libraries just won't work.
>
> I also can't think of any way to soften the blow.  At the end of the
> day, there are binaries out there that not only know the size of sF,
> but they also play with the internals directly.  Binary support of
> this without some currently-unused-internal-changed-to-a-pointer
> kludge is unlikely AFAICT.

I change my mind.  I'll keep everything in the same place but the _up.  An
application, even a gross one that tries to touch all inside FILE, still
shouldn't be touching the most private parts of it.  (Sounds so sick,
doesn't it?  It is.)  That won't break e.g. libftpio and sendmail
(bf_torek.c), at least.  *sigh*  Those need to be rewritten, of course,
really....