Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:46:43 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Hi!

Anthony Atkielsky wrote:

> It is not clear to me what advantage I would gain by using the
> FreeBSD system as the gateway, apart from saving $100 on a router
> (and even that isn't necessarily true, if I have to buy another
> NIC).

More flexibility is one thing that springs to mind immediately.

Actually, I just had one specific bad experience with toaster-box
router/firewall (SMC7008BR). I needed to open some ports in the
firewall to enable one of our sub-offices to use one of our network
applications. And guess what - I just couldn't do that. The best I
could achieve was the situation where one computer at a time
(the one that was turned on first in the morning) was able to use
the application.

This was an endless frustration until I threw out the SMC, put
together a PC from the spare parts laying around (P5/120, 16 MB
RAM) and installed FreeBSD 4.4 + IPFilter.

Since I have installed less than 10 FreeBSD systems overall and had
never seen IPFilter before that day, I don't think it took too long
- just one working day.

My daily salary is *way* less than $800 :-) Actually I wish my
*monthly* salary was that big ;-)))

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If they combined country with rap, would they call it crap?