Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:30:21 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        cyrille.lefevre+dated+1028178747.705301@laposte.net, dot@dotat.at, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sed -i has difficulty with read-only files

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 07:12:24AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> IMHO, both the old and the newer code are wrong. they should use
> getenv("TMPDIR") if any and certainly not the current directory.
> there is probably more room in ${TMPDIR:-/var/tmp} then in the
> current directory. imagine that the current fs is nearly full...

I'm disinclined to use a file in $TMPDIR or in /tmp because of the
bad effect it has on the complexity of the code, and I think that
if you are running out of disk space then you deserve to lose.
Though I'm open to other opinions.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
FAIR ISLE: EAST 4, BACKING NORTHEAST 5 OR 6 OCCASIONALLY 7. RAIN. GOOD