Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 02:08:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Superblocks getting trashed with -current

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >My root superblock was trashed again at this point.  No, it wasn't
> >DOS, since the other times it happened, DOS never entered the picture.
> >A quick look showed that most of the superblock was zeroed out (maybe
> >the first 1024 bytes).  I've got to go install some hardware for
> >a customer right now, but I'll verify exactly how much data was
> >munged when I get home later, and see if I can figure out what
> >the few non-zero bytes might have been.
>
> Are you sure that your paritition information is correct?  It sounds
> like your FreeBSD partition is overlapping the DOS one.

If they have been wrong, then they have been wrong for 7+ months.
And as I said in my previous message, two of the three times in
the past month that my superblocks have been trashed, I never booted
DOS.  Just straight shutdown FreeBSD then reboot FreeBSD right away.
DOS never entered into the picture.

I just triple checked, and none of my partitions overlap.

I'm sure that something in early Aug. is the cause of this,
since I have a kernel from 7/31/95 that works just fine, but any
the kernel I have from 8/9/95 (or later) seems to cause this problem
once in a while.  At least I've been able to narrow it down somewhat,
since I had "good file systems" in single user mode right before a reboot.
I'll play around some more and see what else I can come up with.
Since I've seen one other report of trashed superblocks in the
last couple of weeks, I don't think that this is a totally isolated case.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@mpp.minn.net