Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 09:30:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> It's fairly easy to determine which sectors in the FAT have had the Big A;
> if you look at a "typically" corrupted filesystem, there'll be problems
> related to entries in one or more contiguous sectors.
>
> If I recall correctly, DOS' normal allocation strategy tends to use the
> clusters towards the end of the filesystem last.
>
> A combination of these two would tend to imply that you could generally
> expect to pick up free clusters from the end of the filesystem, and that
> it should be possible to determine whether the FAT in that area had been
> damaged.

OK.  I guess that should do it.  Which at least opens up the possibility
of conjuring up '/lost.fnd', if necessary.  And I'll give the other stuff
a go, and see how much additional complexity is entailed, if any.

> > hierarchy, and this just doesn't apply in the DOS world ... where
> > designing "a better disk defrag utility" seems like a neat learn C++
> > project. 8(
>
> Yecch.  I tried (several times) to write a 'dosfsck'-style program for
> the Atari ST, which uses essentially the same filesystem layout.  It
> was one of the most frustrating and scarring parts of my early
> programming days 8(  (None of the commercial tools was particularly good,
> and the filesystems were sufficiently different that you couldn't just
> move it to a DOS machine and hit it with 'chkdsk'.)

Wish I'd know this before: maybe some subtle hints, along the lines
of "unfinished business", could have gotten a BSD 'dosfsck' from you,
and saved me the trouble. 8)

--
Robert Nordier