Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 12:00:21 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Tom Vollmer <Tom.Vollmer@pai-ca.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM catch 22

The CTRL-ALT-F1 should work to switch you to the first virtual terminal, where you should be able to log in as root and fix stuff.  When using xdm, make sure you have an executable (mode 700) .xsession file in each user's home directory.  I found, at least in my wacky corner of the world, that the .xsession file needs to have a 'PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; export $PATH' line at the beginner for the root user because it can't find startkde otherwise.

The man page for xdm is useful.  I switched from xdm to kdm, which has some nice features.  If you try kdm, make sure you read the KDE help on kdm, especially the parts about kdmdesktop.

Also, Daemon News had a recent article on customizing xdm that you probably should read.

As far as I know, the 'secure'/'insecure' stuff in /etc/ttys doesn't affect xdm.

Oh yea, the .xsession-errors file in your home directory has clues in it, too.

Tom Vollmer wrote:

> I managed to provoke freeBSD into graphical mode before prompting at the command line for userid and passward by altering the "tty".   The only problem I have now is I can't gain access to the KDE interface.  This is what I suspect.  The line that governs XDM also has a option for secure/unsecure settings.  I left it at secure setting.  Therefore, when XDM starts and logs me in, KDE, or for that matter any other process, is not available even to root.  It then returns the user to the XDM interface.  Funny thing is that I can't even get to a command line to run "vi" in order to change the alteration I made.  CATCH 22.
>
> I there a procedure for stopping to allow a command line prompt with the volumes mounted that can be initiated through a "hot key" so I might be able to change the "tty" file back to it's original state?
>
> Tom Vollmer

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!