Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:12:46 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mountd changes

<<On Wed, 22 Feb 1995 17:10:54 -0700, Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net> said:

> If that is the case, (and we don't have 'multiple' copies of /usr/local
> mounted each time), then shouldn't it be up to mount/umount to do the
> right thing with respect to df and friends?  If something is already in
> the tree already, then why repeat it?  It muddies up the output when we
> have 10 version of:
> /usr/local/X11R6             127143    64985    55800    54%    /mnt

Well, there are two points here:

	1) In the specific case of the null filesystem, `df' has no
way of knowing that the fsstat information for `/mnt' was faked up by
nullfs from the information provided by `/usr/local'.

	2) In general, all `df' does is iterate through the mount list
and get the stats for each one.  I don't think you can make it smart
enough to do what you want without also making it stupid enough to
mistakenly omit two filesystems that look the same but really aren't.
It just doesn't have enough information, and arguably it shouldn't.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.