Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:22:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum on the desktop (was: Brett or no Brett?)

On Monday, 13 September 1999 at 15:07:08 +0300, Narvi wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Jay Nelson wrote:
>> I believe that all the BSDs are correct in focusing on the server side
>> of the world. In that world, the concerns and objectives are entirely
>> different than the desktop world. Look at what we already have. There
>> is little value to vinum, for example on the desktop. There is
>> tremendous value, though on the server side.
>
> I strongly disagree with this. vinum has a place on the desktop.
>
> Believing that vinum has no place on the desktop (in the worstation,

Now that's a nice word :-)

> if you will) is believing that either:
>
> 	a) you don't need storage at the desktop
> 	b) you don't need the storage management facilities that vinum
> 	   provides are not needed on the desktop (consider that in the
> 	   matter of months, the smallest available hdd will be at least 18gb)
> 	c) you don't need the speed/reliability options vinum provides on
> 	   the desktop. As storage costs almost nothing (see b) you might
> 	   just as well make sure it doesnt't go away or is faster.
>
> I don't think any of these are warranted.

FWIW, I think I'd agree with Jay up to a point.  Most desktop users
don't even do backups; they're not interested in reliability.  They do
one thing at a time; they're not interested in performance.  They only
have one disk; they can't do striping.

Having said this, of course, there's nothing to stop people from using
Vinum on the desktop.  The real issue is that desktop machines are
less demanding.

Greg