Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:31:35 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Jad Cooper <jadcooper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "george@ceetonetechnology.com" <george@ceetonetechnology.com>, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 10:56:47AM -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
> Hi all thanks for taking the time to reply.
>=20
> Indeed the packages are all available for ARM.

Not on the FreeBSD side, we do not provide any packages for arm, may that be
pkgng or the old pkg_install, where did you find any packages?

> When I delved into installing packages initially there were issues.
> These are specific to the rpi image.
>=20
> 1. The pkg_add works but wants to download packages from an armv6 dir tha=
t's not in the public repo.
> 2. Since pkgng is the new manager , trying to get it bootstrapped fails, =
so a manual build is necessary - downloading the txz and extracting it  lea=
ves it missing several libraries.
To manually build pkgng the best is to use the ports tree which does everyt=
hing
needed for you.

How does it leaves missing libraries and what libraries, I do myself usr pk=
gng
on a pandoboard with no problem you mean you have done the whole thing by h=
and
(picking the sources and building?).

> 3. Once pkgng is setup and working the location of the repo has to be set=
 manually using the setenv packagesite
It can also be specified via pkg.conf but this is only useful if you have a=
ny
repository available somewhere to make binary only installation

> 4. using pkgng I have to force install the packages.

I don't get this one? can you give more details?
>=20
> Most of us are technical but to a hobbyist this is a bit complex, these a=
re the tools, files/condos I'd like to repair so that the image is immediat=
ely useful for RPI.=20
>=20
> It's a great image already but I want to make it as simple as possible fo=
r students to get started with it.=20
>=20
> Do I need to download the image source as tweak the c and header files??

Use the ports tree until we are able to create an arm build cluster, or use=
 some
of the third party package repositories available out there (sorry I have no
link for arm, just know that it does exists :)

Bapt

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--