Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:45:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        assar@sics.se, dima@best.net, mohacsi@fsz.bme.hu, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos 5 or Kerberos IV or DCE?

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:

> > > Last time I've checked Heimdal - it had too many problems and was _not_
> > > compatible with krb5 from MIT. It was about 2 month ago.
> >
> > There has been progress.  It's not perfect, but it does work under
> > FreeBSD (my laptop runs FreeBSD, so...).
>
> I've had KRB5 beta 6 through 1.0.3 running on FreeBSD for over a year.  The
> only problem is that the Kerberos distribution doesn't perform lastlogin under
> FreeBSD, because FreeBSD does not have a lastlog.h (the struct is defined in
> utmp.h).  A small patch fixes this.  I'll be submitting this to MIT when I get
> a chance (probably this weekend).

I've already done that. It's gonna be (hopefully) included with the
next release.
Meanwhile, I can put my krb5 patches on my ftp site, if anybody is interested.

And, by the way, lastlog stuff is not the only problem.

> Other KRB5 problems are not specific to FreeBSD and are usually fixed by the
> ANL patches, which usually get rolled into the next release by MIT.
>
> A port should be simple to create, however it could not fetch the source into
> distfiles:  This would have to be performed by the sysadmin.  Configuration is
> simple.  I use;
>
> /configure --with-cc=gcc --with-aname-db=db --with-kdb-db=db
>             --prefix=<choose your direcotry> --with-ccopts=-O

You don't need to specify db stuff in the release, it does berkeley db by
default.

> The --with-krb4 option is only required if you use a KRB4 client like sudo or
> popper.

If memory serves, KerbNet has popper with krb5 patches.

> > /assar
> >

> Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
> ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
> Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
>                                        Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
>
> 		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."