Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 95 23:25:22 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Japanese fonts?

> I'd like to have the japanese fonts show up correctly in syscons, just
> as Cyrillic (Russian) text shows up now.  This would allow us to stop
> imposing the hard-to-read "romaji" japanese text on our poor Japanese
> readers.  Am I just dreaming?  Can anyone suggest any ways of bringing
> this goal closer to fruition?

The easiest way is to use a gif or jpg instead of text.

consider: 14x14x20,000 = 3920000 bits = 490000 bytes = 479k.

Note that such a font would not load into the video cards font memory,
since it's maxed out at 512 characters.

You could do a Katakana/Hirugana (Kana) font (phonetic Japanese/foreign)
in 46 characters each (ie: it'd fit in a standard ASCII map).

Of course, then it would read like a childs book.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.