Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 13:12:05 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updating RELENG_4_3

On 2001-Jul-30 01:43:44 -0600, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> wrote:
>In message <Pine.BSF.4.32.0107292349440.7697-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org> Chris BeHanna writes:
>:     If the suggestion, "leave a small commit-free window around
>: midnight UTC" is adopted, then you could use -D "00:00:00 UTC" and not
>: have to worry (although you'd have to translate that to
>: "[cc]yy.mm.dd.00.00.00" format for cvsup to process it).
>
>Two minor problems:
>
>1) 00:00:00 utc is the middle of the late afternoon/early evening in the
>   US.  A more traditional quiet time is 3am MxT time (GMT-5 or -6
>   depending on the time of year).  That's 2am on the pacific coast
>   (just after most people tend to stop committing there) and
>   8am in the uk/europe (just before most people start committing
>   there).  Traditionally, the tree is quieter then.  This would be
>   07:00:00 utc.

0700UTC is mid-afternoon to early evening for Japan and Australia -
which would probably annoy committers here.  It might also annoy the
Russian's and similar areas (I think they have moved their clocks to
be closer to LMT rather than use European time).  Basically, given a
global development community (such as FreeBSD has), you're not going
to find a time that doesn't inconvenience some part of the community.

In any case, how big a window do you specify?  Someone might start a
commit with what seems like plenty of time to space, but because
everyone else had the same idea, freefall is very slow.  Or maybe
the Internet has a hiccup and your `quick commit' drags on forever.

Peter