Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:20:36 +0100
From:      Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Edited web page does not update

--mudmja3czgfbpjrd

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 05:00:40PM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 16:54, Rob Belics <rob@belics.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to dabble with updating documentation--specifically the web
>> site--using this link: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/fdp-primer/ I p=
ut
>> everything together and get the site to come up locally using Hugo as
>> outlined. However, I do not understand how to edit the web pages. First,=
>> can't find the home page (index) at all. Second, I tried editing the Abo=
ut
>> page doc/website/content/en/about.adoc, and rebuilt the whole thing, but
>> nothing changed when I refreshed the page.
>>
>Hi Rob,
>
>First, thanks for your interest in helping us :)
>
>Second, can you tell me the commands you=E2=80=99re using?
>
>If you execute =E2=80=9Cmake run=E2=80=9D this should update the changes a=
utomatically.

>Bye.

Hi folks,

To add to this a bit, my workflow is as follows:

Optional: ensure that the HOSTNAME variable is set, so that hugo listens=20
on a host that isn't localhost, as I run it on a server that's a bit=20
more powerful than my old laptop.

git checkout -b <branchname>

`make -C /usr/doc/website run`
(Replace website with documentation if you want to monitor the=20
documentation)

Alter whatever it is I wanna change, and save the file. Hugo should=20
rebuild the changed part (although this doesn't always work, possibly=20
due to includes; I've yet to root-cause this)

git add . && git diff -staged

Then rinse and repeat for the editing and git add'ing, until satisfied.

Finally, make -C /usr/doc/website build, to make sure nothing else=20
broke during all the editing. ;)

The asciidoctor binary can also be used to lint files.

If you grab git arc by doing `make -C /usr/src/tools/tools/git-arc build`=
=20
and throw the install target at it afterwards (you'll need to be in the=20
tree for 14-CURRENT for this), you can use git arc (and it's manual=20
page, adopted to mdoc(7) by yours truly) to upload directly to=20
reviews.freebsd.org.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to reach out (preferably on=20
#bsddocs on IRC) if necessary.

Also, yes, I do intend to add this to the FDP, but it could be added by=20
someone else too. *hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge*

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen

--mudmja3czgfbpjrd

--mudmja3czgfbpjrd--