Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:16:34 -0600
From:      Andrew Nichols <aen552@mail.usask.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0 install/upgrade problem.

I am a FreeBSD 3.4 user who wants to upgrade to 4.0 but I'm having a
problem.  I cvsup'd all my source and they compiled flawlessly, I
compiled a new kernel and used MAKEDEV to make the devices in the /dev
directory (as per the UPDATING intructions) but when I reboot it says
that the partition I was using for 3.4 is beyond the physical limits of
the disk and it truncates the partition.
	That is where the problem lies, it thinks the disk is 2GB when it
infact is an 8GB disk (6GB for a windows parition and 2GB for a FreeBSD
partition).  So I thought it was just an install problem, and since I
b0rked the partitions anyway I tried to fresh install 4.0 from the boot
diskettes.  That didn't work either.  It doesn't see the 2GB BSD
partition.  I tried changing the drive geometry but it still never found
the space.  After that I tried re-installing 3.4 and without changing
any partition information the 3.4 boot diskettes found the 2GB partition
(the RH linux installer also found it). Is this a known 4.0 problem?  Or
is it that my disk is b0rked?  I've searched everywhere on the FreeBSD
web site and I can't find anything relating to this problem.  Any help
would be _greatly_ appreciated.

						Thanks for reading,
						Andrew Nichols