Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@daemontech.com>
To:        Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm] - NOT

On 13-Jul-00 Jan Koum did Say'th via email:

> i have to agree with jkh here. my mail box is not shrinking and if people
> are dumb enough not to make a distinction between freebsd kernel and
> xjigsaw port, nothing we do will help them. not even sending them a 6 pack
> of clue with fedex overnight express delivery.

 Yes but Brett is not talking about people... he is talking about Management :)

 INMHO when a security advisory come out for wuftpd/popper what have you.. It
should be just that. An advisory for That Program. It is comming via the
FreeBSD security list, thus it Must have something to do with BSD.

 Besides I don't care if it is a FreeBSD port, I appreciatte hearing about a
flaw in X and it is my job to see/know if it applies to me. I am sure that many
of us work in multiple OS shops were "port" flaws apply across the board.

 Besides  "Advisory: WUFTPD Buffer overflow Warning" is much shorter in the
subject line :)

 I am amazed at how may Linux people I have met were I talk about how much
more secure FreeBSD is and they say " I don't agree, I am always seeing
security advisories for FreeBSD"

> on top of that, brett does not realize how much effort and work kris and
> warner put into making ports advisories already. instead of saying thanks,
you ask for more!

 I really appreciatte the work they do, and I know others do to. Unfortunatly
it is often a thankless job. Who knows how many hacking attempts that were not
successfull becouse of their work!

   Nicole