Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 14:22:20 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Geometry troubles with new harddrive.

Hello,
 I don't know if my original question got through but I have more
information this time around so I'm going to ask again. :)

I installed a harddrive into my FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE machine.  The
harddrive was previously used in a Windows 95 machine, partitions entirely
in FAT32.

The parameters that the BIOS sees are 13328/15/63 for a size of 6449 MB.
FreeBSD sees 4092/15/63 (3866940 sectors) for a size of 1888 MB.

I have tried all 3 modes for the BIOS to report the drive (LBA, LARGE, &
NORMAL).  The numbers above are reported by NORMAL.

I have tried editing the geomerty in /stand/sysintall and by using command
line fdisk.  Nothing seems to hold.

I know this drive works.  I've had it almost a year and never had trouble
with it on the windows machine.  What else can I do to get FreeBSD to
report the proper size of this drive so I can move on to using it?

-Chris