Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 18:46:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: CAM changes

I have just committed a number of CAM changes to -stable that will
require recompilation of any userland programs you have that access the
CAM passthrough driver.  So things like cdrecord, xmcd, etc., should be
recompiled.

The best way to update your system is via make world.

NOTE:  I would really like to hear from NCR owners about these changes.
Justin and I made a small negotiation change in the NCR driver that should
mean that people with 875j's and the like should get Ultra speeds without
putting options in their kernel.

To summarize, these changes:

- add new 'tags' and 'negotiate' commands to camcontrol.  The tags command
  allows setting and viewing the number of tagged openings, and the negotiate
  command allows viewing and setting negotiation parameters for devices.

- add code to make the transport layer's sink devices invisible to
  camcontrol devlist by default.  (they reappear with -v)

- The CD and DA drivers now attach regardless of what errors they get back
  from a read capacity.  (with one exception -- "logical unit not supported")

- Fixed a negotiation bug in the NCR driver.

Note that the ahc, adv, and ncr drivers are the only drivers that fully
support the 'camcontrol negotiate' command at this point.  Other drivers,
like the adw driver, may let you turn sync negotiation on and off but won't
let you set the sync rate.  In the case of the adw boards, I think it's a
hardware limitation.  Other drivers, like the bt driver, don't support the
XPT_SET_TRAN_SETTINGS CCB at all, so you can't set any negotiation
parameters.

The 'tags' command should work on any device, because tagged queueing is
handled by the transport layer, and not individual peripheral drivers.

Many thanks to Justin for helping with these changes and reviewing
everything.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry