Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 07:55:25 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEL key acts like BackSpace

Greg Lehey said on May 14, 2000 at 11:03:02:
> On Saturday, 13 May 2000 at  0:51:54 -0500, gh wrote:
>
> 4.  Meanwhile, in Washington State, a company reinvented everything
>     and used completely different characters from what other people
>     were using.  That's their choice, of course, but it doesn't mean
>     anybody else is going to follow them, especially when most of
>     their choices appear to be suboptimal.

I sympathise with that point of view, but I don't see that in this
case their choice is worse than the original one.  These days it's
become standard, even on commercial unix machines.  If there's a
good intrinsic reason to retain the old choice of del, that's
different, but it doesn't look like there's anything "incorrect"
and it would make it easier for new users to follow the common
current standards -- especially as FreeBSD mostly runs on modern
machines with both a del key and a backspace key on its keyboards.
It doesn't mean that one should imitate everything else that the
above company does, of course...

R.