Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:00:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> Ah hell, just buy a switch/router and get the whole mess in one box.  If you
> buy the RIGHT one, you can get your wide area/internet link AND your firewall
> all in the same box.  Anyone who thinks a router provides more security than
> a VLAN switch doesn't understand how VLANs work.

With a nice router I can almost always set up filtering and policys on how
ports exchange traffic.  It's really hard to create a good packet filter on
a layer 2 device, let alone one that can keep state like a freebsd box used
as a router/firewall.  4 Port Ethernet cards are less than $500 now so you
can build the box with a really low per-port cost.  The box costs $2000 for
8 ports at about $250/port.  Sure segment your switch into VLANs, then setup
a device to route between the and give you some firewalling.

Sure there are some switches that do provide extensive filtering and even
load balancing, but those are a usually a bit more than $250/port.  I think
this is similar to the packet filter vs gateway debate, people like to
manage at different levels in the network stack.  If you want to manage at
layer 2 you need to add lots of smarts to the switch to understand how IP
packets work for an effective filter.  Managing IP at layer 3 is managing a
protocol where it lives.  As in the router/gateway debate some will say
understanding the packets is not enough and you need to understand the
payload, hence the gateway approach.  Draw a line and stick a stake in the
ground where you as a professional are comfortable.

I sure do understand how VLANs work, I use them all the time.  I'm pretty
sure that high end switch you are talking about actually does have a router
in there somewhere and is not a simple switch, at least I've never seen a
simple switch that will handle a WAN link.  All of my switches that I've
segmented into VLANs are glued the VLANs together with an RSM or an external
router.  Now saying that I am always amazed at how far up the network stack
some switches will crawl.  Right now I'm playing with some switches that
will load balance HTTP connections by binding virtual (ip, port) pairs to
real (ip, port) pairs, they are sure getting smarter.

Cliff

--
   | Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to |
   | Steam Tunnel Operations |  obtain a little temporary safety deserve   |