Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:55:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Big Bad Root-meister <root@dude.cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Station hung at 'Recovering vi sessions' stage

While trying to reboot a PC after making a change to the network card configuration, the system is
now pretty much hung in the 'recovering vi sessions' stage.
After about a 30 mionute pause, the boot process came back with a 'creep - user unknown message' and then continued with it's unresponsibeness.
I can only assume that since the PC NIS reads the passwd files from the master
NIS server that this hangup is due to the fact that the system is trying to get user data from the master server and because the  netowrk is non fuctional it is coughing at this point.

How can I drop to a shell prompt with all my file systems mounted and make the change that is needed to the /etc/sysconfig file so that I can bring the system back up ?

I would appreciate it if somebody could directo some mail at the following account to help me get this sorted out.

kevins@cyberbeach.net

Thanks.