Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 12:13:39 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

At 02:50 PM 5/30/99 -0700, you wrote:

>> >It *is* your problem. Supposing you can't get Intel cards anymore.
>> >Then what're you going to do.
>>
>> Use something else that works. If none of them work then FreeBSD is no
>> longer a viable option.
>
>This is the core fallacy; you should restate this as:
>
>  "If none of them work, then FreeBSD is no longer a viable option
>   because it will require me to do some work to help fix them".
>
>I'm sorry; the FreeBSD Project is dedicated to developing operating
>system code, not wiping your ass.  You've received abundant offers of
>assistance requiring no more than minimal effort on your part, and
>turned them all down.  This kind of selfish laziness is something we
>can all do without.

hey mike, why dont you try to pay attention. This was a CUSTOMER who was
UNWILLING to donate their network to the freebsd project. Get it? I dont
have 3com cards, I dont like 3com. I just reported that someone had a problem.

I already work 70 hours a week pal, so dont give me this "lazy" bullshit.
Im supposed to fix the 3com driver and the dec driver and the nfs code and
all the other things wrong with freebsd, right? Why doesnt someone who
ACTUALLY USES 3com cards donate their time? If noone is having a problem,
then why worry?

So if you are saying that we shouldnt report problems if we are not willing
to donate our time to fix them then so be it. If you think that every time
one of my customers has some problem with something in FreeBSD I'm going to
spend days trying to fix it, you have been out in the outback way too long.
Im not on the core team, its not my driver, and I couldnt give a rats ass
if the 3com driver ever works...next time I'll just quietly tell the
customer and let every other poor sole who uses 3com cards find out for
themselves. What a seflish guy I am.

DB