Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:58:21 -0500
From:      Chuck Bacon <crtb@helix.nih.gov>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP <lyndon@orthanc.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin owned files

> I am having a really tough time wrapping my head around this.
>
>     Paul> Getting bin access does not give you root access.
>
> and then
>
> 	 Therefore, the only
>     Paul> way to get root access from bin is to replace, say, /bin/sh
>     Paul> with a program that creates a suid root sh *when it is run
>     Paul> by root*.

This wrangle has been going on for weeks now, and I wonder why nobody
has mentioned chflags(1):

    # chflags -R schg /bin
    # chflags -R schg /sbin
    # chflags -R schg /usr/sbin
    # (protect additional directories too)

Anyone with root access can destroy a system, but this makes it harder.

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@helix.nih.gov
		ABHOR SECRECY	-   DEFEND PRIVACY