Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:06:42 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fork test

Hello!

Me and a friend of mine decided to compare FreeBSD and Linux using this
little program (compiled with "gcc -lm")

Two identical machines run FreeBSD 4.0-SNAP 20000214 and Linux Mandrake
7.0 kernel 2.2.13

----------------------------------
#include <math.h>

double counter=0,counter2=32;

double
test()
{
    return atan2(counter++,counter2+=counter*50);
}

int
main()
{
    int t;
    while((t=fork())>0);
    if(!t) while(1) test();
    else perror("fork");
}
----------------------------------
Well, after very short time, both boxes responded to console switchings
and things like that, but trying to run something like "ps", "w",
"uptime" put machine quite on hold (about 2 minutes). The thing is that
Linux finished runnig commands about 3 times faster than FreeBSD.  What
the heck does that suppose to mean?!  I thought FreeBSD whould kick linux
butt?

Please respond directly to me since I am not the member of this list.
Thanks.

Cheers,

  /* Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |                                */
  /* known as DAN Fe                      | mailto:danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru   */
  /*                                      | ICQ UIN: 38934845              */
  /* Novosibirsk State University         | http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ */
  /* Scientific Study Center Computer Lab |                                */

		[Team Assembler] [Team BSD] [Team DooM] [Team Quake]

Microsoft:	Where do you want to go today?
Linux:		Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD:	Are you guys coming or what?

A good conspiracy is unprovable.  I mean, if you can prove it, it means they
screwed up somewhere along the line.

					Jerry Fletcher from Conspiracy Theory