Date:      19 May 1997 11:20:21 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        andy@icc.surw.chel.su (Andrey Zakhvatov), freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Curses/ncurses problem

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:

> As Andrey Zakhvatov wrote:
>
> >    What about upgrade ncurses library to last release, 1.9.9e ?
>
> Somebody must actually do it.

4.1 has just been released.

> >    And what about totally switch to new curses instead of using
> >    attic curses?
>
> I'm not so sure about it.  The previous version of ncurses suffered
> from quite a number of bugs.  The old BSD curses doesn't suffer :)
> from too many features, arguably, but at least it's halfways bugfree.
> Until the ncurses maintainers show an attitude more towards bugfixing
> than to adding new features (like installing sigwinch handlers that
> even SysV curses doesn't do, and that confuse the hell out of some
> programs like Mutt), i would be very careful with dropping boring old
> BSD curses.  It works for those programs that use it.  Nobody ever
> made the experiment to link an entire FreeBSD base system against
> ncurses, and see what would break.

It's something we should think about doing though since Keith Bostic
has said (quite some time ago) that he considers BSD curses to be dead
and that ncurses should be adopted instead.

It's latest release looks very good from reading the announcement but
I haven't tried it. I think they're quite co-operative though so if we
did make the commitment to use it we'd get a good response to any
changes we felt were needed.

--
  Dr Paul Richards. [p.richards@elsevier.co.uk]
  Originative Solutions Ltd.  [paul@originat.demon.co.uk]