Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:26:47 -0800
From:      Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building x11amp-0.9

Daniel McRobb wrote:
> A quick-hack binary is at:
>
>   ftp://ftp.caida.org/pub/x11amp-0.9-alpha2.FreeBSD_2.2.8-STABLE.tar.gz
>
> I tar'ed with absolute paths so you can't screw up installing it.  :-)
> See /usr/X11R6/share/x11amp/README after you untar; basically it just
> tells you to cvsup your ports tree and install glib11-devel and
> gtk11-devel before trying to run x11amp.
>
> No warranties, please don't send me mail if it doesn't work.  :-)
>
> Daniel
> ~~~~~~

Hey Daniel, thanks for the preview.  I already had the gtk & glib stuff
so it was a breeze getting this up and running.

Here are some observations.  These are not complaints, just feedback for
the group.  I'm on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE, built Fri Jan 15 1999.  My
hardware is a PnP SoundBlaster AWE32, PPro200 w/64 MB.  I'm using the
pcm sound drivers.

1) The old version of x11amp, V-0.8, causes this console message message
to pop up every once in a while ("sorry, read DMA channel
unavailable").  This happens at the beginning of each song in a playlist
or when clicking the pause and play buttons.  This is a harmless message
and there seems to be no effect on the sound quality.

The new x11amp, V-0.9alpha, does not have that message it now has one
that says ("FIOASYNC")  This message is much more frequent.  It also
happens at the beginning of each song and when pausing/restarting.
Additionally when adjusting the volume or balance controls I get several
dozen of these messages.  Again, sound quality is fine so the messages
seem harmless.

2) When adjusting the volume controls for the DSP device using the xmix
program the old version x11amp would update the volume slider.  The new
version does not.

3) Program core dumps when loading a .mp2 file.  Old version plays it
without any problems.

4) The new version seems to be very susceptible to system load and the
sound will skip a lot when resources are really taxed.  Just switching
to a different virtual console will cause a skip. (Maybe this is due to
the thread support being clipped out? - guess)  The old version is
completely immune.  It has never skipped, no matter how hard I pound the
system.

5) CPU usage is just slightly lower for the new version (23% vs 25%).
Total RAM usage is lower for the new version (4200K vs 9360K).  This
might be due to the fact that the old version splits in to five separate
processes and the new version has just one.  I prefer the performance of
the old version over the efficiency efficiency of the new one.

I have not tried any of the skins yet but I going to soon.  I gotta get
rid of this penguin!
--
-Ben Speirs