Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:21:50 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "Danny" <dannyh@idx.com.au>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, "Martin Welk" <mw@theatre.sax.de>
Cc:        "John" <papalia@UDel.Edu>, <mw@sax.de>, "David Bein" <bein@pyramid.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: LAN Questions.

Danny,

First, this question does not really belong on the FreeBSD-ISP mailing list.

Now, for an answer...

Yes, samba can solve your problems.  FreeBSD combined with samba and a
rigorous backup plan can be about the best file/print server you can get.
Combine that with a strict data storage policy (everything must be saved to
the server), and your network should be humming smoothly before you know it.

You can even go so far as to turn samba into a PDC, allowing the
workstations to believe they're part of a Windows Network (can save more
headaches than it creates).

HTH,

-Troy