Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:00:56 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current kernel still considered dangerous

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:36:48AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Unlike Solaris, modules are not essential to run FreeBSD. I think debugging
> > this by fixing 'debugging modules' is at best a 3rd order priority.
>
> I thought many of the device driver folks perfer to develop via modules.
> How do they debug things?  Printf() is it?

This would be at least the third time you have asked this tiresome
question.  See the vinum sources for a bunch of helper scripts for
applying gdb to modules.

However, as most device driver authors will tell you, yes, printf and a
serial console are usually your best friend.  A debugger is exactly no
use when you've deadlocked or spontaneously rebooted your machine, and
most of the rest of what typically requires debugging happens too fast or
at much too inconvenient times to make using a debugger any more
efficient than a stack of KASSERTs and a lot of debugging output.