Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 10:04:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Makefiles incorrectly set LDADD

>LDADD should not be set with a += in a Makefile unless that Makefile
>has mutliple LDADD lines with in it.

>> Why is there no "+=" ? Is this intentional ?
>gndrsh# cd /usr/src
>gndrsh# vi `kfind -l LDADD+=`

>Look at a bunch of them a notice that we seem to be very inconsistent
>here, but the ones I look at may have LDADD's in ../Makefile.inc that
>I did not check for.

In /usr/src/*bin/*/Makefile, there are 75 LDADD's, 3 correct LDADD+='s
(after an LDADD= in the same file) and 12 bogus LDADD+='s, almost all
of which are not in 4.4lite.

LDADD+= is bogus because any definition of LDADD in a central header is
bogus.  Defining LDADD in a central header would be bogus because the
everything would be linked to the libraries in it and there would be no
way to override these libraries (+= usually adds to the wrong end of the
list for libraries).

Bruce