Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:40:52 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing problems with KDE

Bill Moran wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2002 20:33, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:44:04PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
>>
>>>We've got a little office network that consists of some FreeBSD
>>>and some Windows computers.
>>>One of the FreeBSD computers acts as a print server.  It's running
>>>4.2-R and printing via lpd works fine.  Printing through this print
>>>server using Samba from the Win stations works fine as well. lpd printing
>>>from a FreeBSD workstation (4.3-R) via the newtork works fine as well.
>>>But I can't print anything from KDE, either locally (KDE 2.1) or on the
>>>remote station (KDE 2.2).
>>>I'm guessing that it's a config problem with KDE, but I can't find much
>>>in the way of configuration information to tweak. The FreeBSD lpd
>>>printing system seems to be set up just dandy, it's a shame KDE isn't
>>>using it.
>>>Any advice?
>>>
>>Look through the menus for something like (off the top of my head)
>>
>>preferences/system/printing manager
>>
>>It's in there somewhere, I used it a couple of days ago (not in
>>a position to run KDE at moment otherwise I would check for you)
>>

> Thanks for the response, Cliff.  I haven't been able to find the settings
> that you speak of, or any additional settings for that matter.  The only
> setting I've seen so far is to choose the type of print spooler, which I
> have set to lpd.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I had to look because I knew I could print from WordPerfect. The
utilities have a "Print Job Administration" and I defined dj1120 from
my printcap file as my KDE printer. I open a file and told the
advanced editor to print to my W2K server. Since the printcap file for
opal, which has a dj970 on it, is almost identical, I would expect it
to print there just fine too.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart