Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 21:52:57 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        Chris <97Efcw@alumni.ee.ust.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd: failed to write packet back

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 08:29:18PM +0800, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a freebsd box as a gateway to connect to internet.  It is
> running natd.  I find in the /var/log/messages that "natd[13276]:
> failed to write packet back (Permission denied)" quite often.  I try
> to enable the log of natd, but nothing special here.  I also check my
> firewall log but nothing is denied.  Any clues?
>
> The box is running 4.0-stable cvsup'ed month ago.

I believe there is some discussion of this error in the mail archives so
you may want to check there.

You do not say what type of firewall you are running, "OPEN, CLIENT,
SIMPLE" as defined in /etc/rc.conf so it could be any number of
things. You could run natd in verbose mode and watch the output so you
can see what natd is doing. There is a good chance that ICMP traffic is
causing the error.

Hope that helps.

--
Glenn Johnson