Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:45:46 -0500
From:      Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
To:        python@freebsd.org
Subject:   psycopg and python 2.1

Next py21 problem (obviously building this stuff for zope... sigh)... if you
try to set the environment PYTHON_VERSION=python2.1 the py-psycopg port will
not build... this is because it uses PYTHON_VERSION variable for its own
purposes, and it screws up the paths used in configure.

Work around is to use -D PYTHON_VERSION=python2.1 on the make command line.

It seems to me that the bsd.python.mk file shouldn't use quite so generic
looking environment variables, or they are bound to clash with some software
build environments as they have here eventually. If something like
FREEBSD_PY_VER (just pulling that out of the air) was used, it would likely
never clash with anything not FREEBSD specific.

This isn't a huge issue as the work around is easy above... and hopefully the
need for python 2.1 dies soon (as it will for me with Zope 2.7)... so i don't
want to PR it... but just thought i'd raise the issue of clashing environment
variables on this list in case anyone wants to think about it...

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | "Who is Ungit?" said he, still holding
x@veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | my hands. --C.S.Lewis (TWHF)