Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:17:06 -0500
From:      Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Support (was Re: Netscape browser )

At 11:37 AM 3/23/99 -0700, Donald Wilde wrote:
>Brian Adkins wrote:
>> It seems to me that if the type of people who have the skill and motivation
>> to improve the operating system are attracted to it, and gain a sense of
>> corporate "ownership" from investing blood, sweat and tears into it, then
>
>Yes, and the best people will be attracted to the 'technically best'
>platform which FreeBSD (IMHO and others') most definitely is.
>
>> the general user base will continue to follow.  Some might offer the
>> argument of Betamax vs. VHS, but I don't think the commercial analogies
>> always apply well here.
>
>No, they really don't. What does Joe Linux' choice have to do with mine?
>FreeBSD will remain free as long as people care to keep it up, and
>there's no sign that that support is going to go away. I personally am
>not concerned, for example, that I can't get Oracle 8 on my FreeBSD. I
>know that I can run Oracle 7 if I need to, and that has most of the
>commercial app base. I also know that I can (and do) run PostgreSQL,
>which is arguably as good and some ways better, besides being BSD
>licensed.
>
>The VHS vs. Beta would apply if we had a 'bottom line' and payroll to
>worry about. We don't, therefore we can make our choice on the basis of
>merit. Betamax _is_ better, but it's gone because Sony couldn't justify
>supporting it. We have no such problem. As you said, the rules of the
>game are totally different, and _we_ are Bill Gates' worst nightmare,
>even if he doesn't know it yet.

EXACTLY!  There is no "bottom line" here, it's a volunteer effort and
volunteers will work on the platform they *want* to - it's very different
than the OS/2 scenario.  There is much more synergy between the free OS's
than there ever was, or will be, between commercial OS's - I think that's
continually being overlooked here.

And another thing, what's the big deal about providing a native port?  If
companies are smart they isolate their platform dependent code into very
small portions and the administrative overhead of supporting several open
source operating systems is diddly squat.  I had to port a medium size app
(80,000 LOC) that ran on BSDI, AIX, HPUX, Solaris, and others to Windows NT

If it's not *that* difficult to write serious code that runs on Windows NT
and UNIX (and I've done it), surely it can't be that difficult for a
company to maintain a Linux & FreeBSD.  Man, you've got fork() on both of
them - count your blessings :)

Maybe a better thing to do than providing a FreeBSD emulator on Linux is to
put together a killer support team (this may already exist) for helping
companies expedite porting their apps to FreeBSD - maybe a special mailing
list for ISV's who are porting (call it Gold Support or something :),
really good "How to port your <other os> app to FreeBSD" document, use of
the "Works With/Designed For FreeBSD" marketing stuff etc.  Just a thought.