Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:51:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache130-fp

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 02:57:05PM -0800, keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:

> I've heard many people telling me to not have FP installed for users
> on a server due to the security risks. I have yet to have anyone give
> me an example of a situation where something was cracked or crashed
> due to an FP exploit. Is this just M$ hate mongering or is there a
> valid reason to not allow them on the servers?

Oh, well... since nobody else did answer on this one ;)

If by `FP' you mean the FrontPage extensions for Apache servers, then
it's clearly not the best thing you could do to your installation of
Apache, thank you!  That is because with theses extensions, some of the
control over who gets to write to a file and which permissions it will
take are managed by these `extensions'.

More efficient ways can be found to manage your web server pages.  I've
always preferred Samba for sharing with Windows using colleagues parts
of my filesystems.  This has several advantages, like:

1) Samba lets me control who gets to see what, where write permissions
   are granted, who can browse my shares, etc.

2) It's easier to get an idea of the current `state' of the shared
   directories with the usual Unix tools, like ls(1), find(1), etc.
   With FP-extensions there might be some change that's on the `air'
   when I use my ls(1) commands to browse the directory, which change I
   will quite probably fail to see ;)

The load of a machine that does not need to run Apache but shares with
Samba is a lot less than if Apache was running.  Be it with an Apache
that uses shared objects or not, the memory gains are somewhat
important too for me [on a 32 Mb machine, every byte is important].

The bottom line is, you don't need to use FrontPage extensions.  You
can use plain good ol' Samba and share files with your Unices pretty
much the same way that Windows users share their 'neighborhood'.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]