Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 02:11:29 -0400
From:      "Charles Peters - Tech Support" <support@tecpro.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Server Configuration/Migration and setup of a VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Greetings,

I am in the process of planning the migrating a Novell Netware 3.12
server and a Windows 4.0 server to a FreeBSD server running
Samba.  I have a few questions to assist me in getting organized.

The FreeBSD Samba server will be used by approximately 30 a
staff members of a law office.  These users will need read/write
access to the Samba server in order to store various files and/or
documents.  Users will also require read only access to various law
journals and research tools, which will be periodically written from
cd to the server hard disk drive.  It is conceivable that this machine
will store in excess of 15 to 20 GB of data.

This server will be configured as follows:

    2	18GB SCSI hard disk drives
    1	40GB tape backup drive
    1	Intel 700MHz  PIII CPU
    512 MB Ram
	etc...

This server should be accessible from the internal tcp/ip network
(192.168.0.x), and accessible from the users off-site locations via
the internet.  I am thinking that a VPN would be in order for off-site
access.

All users will accessing the FreeBSD Samba server via Windows
95, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 workstations, and probably 2
or 3 systems running FreeBSD / X / KDE combinations, and/or
Linux / X / KDE combinations.  There may even be a Windows 3.1
or Macintosh workstation connected to the network.

The internal network is connected to the internet via a cable
modem connection and a FreeBSD gateway.  Users currently use
this gateway for online legal research, as well as general internet
access.  Users accessing the Samba server attached to the
internal (192.168.0.) network remotely should be able to pass
through the FreeBSD gateway in order to connect to the FreeBSD
Samba server.

My questions are as follows:

    What type of Virtual Private Networking software would be
    recommended for the situation described above?  I would like to
    set this machine up on the internal network using a 192.168.0.
    ip address.  I base this on the assumption that being on the
    internal network, the server, and the data on it, would be more
    secure.  The problem is will I be able to VPN into the server
    remotely via the internet, or will I have to use IPFW to forward
    packets from the remotely connected internet users to the
    internal Samba server.

    Vinum - Should I use this product to enhance the performance
    on the FreeBSD Samba server?  What are the pros and cons of
    implementing Vinum?

    I must also set up an intranet/internet server for the purpose of
    providing web services, email services, ftp services, and DNS.  I
    am assuming that these services should be housed on a
    machine separate from the Samba server.  Currently, I plan on
    beefing up our internet gateway in order to handle these tasks.

I have a great deal of experience using FreeBSD for gateways and
Samba servers, as well as email, www, and ftp servers, but the
advanced techniques that I imagine that will be required to get the
VPN going have me a bit concerned.  Any suggestions or pointers
to information which may assist me in this task would be
appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Charles

mailto:	support@tecpro.com