Date:      Tue,  8 Sep 1998 13:05:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        archie@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

Quoth Archie Cobbs on Mon, 7 September:
: I was also thinking that we might want to start building a basic
: Java codebase for people who want to write applications in Java
: on FreeBSD, eg.
:
:   org.freebsd.util		- utility classes
:   org.freebsd.net		- network related classes
:   org.freebsd.admin		- classes for system administration
:   org.freebsd.admin.user	- classes for configuring user accounts
:
: ??
:
: I don't know what kind of demand there is out there for this
: right now though.

(I hope that generally useful Java classes will fall under a more
general category, such as org.classpath, and that the org.freebsd
space will be reserved for classes specific to the freebsd
environment.)

Frankly my interest in developing (as in *using*) Java utilities
for FreeBSD is much abated by the lack of a respectable Java
environment for FreeBSD.  This is not intended as a disparagement of
the FreeBSD JDK -- but I think everyone understands that it performs
quite poorly.  Kaffe doesn't work with Swing, and may never work with
Swing from what I hear (and has very poor GC behaviour, which acts as
a glass ceiling on performance, again).

Reflection on this state provides occasion for me to ask the general
audience: Is there hope for a competent Java environment on FreeBSD in
the future, and if so from whence does it come?

On Solaris, JDK 1.2 ships with Symantec JIT, but I don't think the
JavaSoft non-comm source distribution will include any JIT, will it?
If not, then the only hope of respectable JIT in a JavaSoft-derived
FreeBSD platform is an independent, novel, implementation.  (That is,
disregarding for the moment the possibility of sufficient Solaris x86
ABI support to allow the use of Solaris' libsunwjit.so.)

Kaffe is very close, but *most* people with skill and interest are
prohibited from contributing, since you can't touch it if you have
seen the JDK source code (at least according to the most recent
word on the subject I have from Mehlitz).  Therefore I have serious
doubts that the current situation with regard to Swing and GC progress
will change for the better.

Can someone prove my sad assessment incorrect, please?