Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:59:44 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, peter@spinner.DIALix.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.info.mk

>> It has at least three other bugs:
>>
>> 1. the new temporary files aren't in ${CLEANFILES}.
>
>No..  .info* includes the .info.new temporaries.

Ah.  The bug is a little different :-).  Removing files that weren't
created by the build process is not good, and the globbing in bsd.info.mk
is bad - it would remove bsd.info.mk if there was an info source file
bsd.texi in /usr/src/share/mk and the obj dir is the same as the src dir.

>> 2. support for not having --no-split in ${MAKEINFOFLAGS} is more broken
>>    then before.
>
>"support" is not exactly what I'd call it.  There is zero support for it
>and it requires quite a bit of work to do it.   Since makeinfo doesn't have
>any way of notifying which (if any) extra .info-1 etc files are created (if
>any) so that installing them and cleaning them requires wildcard expansion.

Splitting used to be the default before rev.1.14.  Rev.1.14 implemented
compression and made --no-split the default so simplify the compression
rule.  Rev.1.14 also removed a single '*' in the install rule to prevent
both the .info and the .info.gz files being installed.  This broke
installation of split info files.  Otherwise the splitting case was sort
of supported.  You just had to use the incantation `make NOINFOCOMPRESS=
MAKEINFOFLAGS= ...'.

I'd like to drop support for !--no-split and require ${MAKEINFO} to
output to stdout (makeinfo -o -).  Outputting to stdout in all cases
makes supporting different filters easier.  It also makes the problem
with garbage output files more obvious.  However, this problem is
usually not handled.  There are lots of pipelines ending with
"> ${.TARGET}" where errors leak out of the pipes and garbage targets
are not cleaned up.

Bruce