Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:09:02 +0100
From:      Marten <mvnrelay@xs4all.nl>
To:        Richard Letts <richard-freebsd@illuin.org>
Cc:        mob <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: weak signal

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 17:43, Richard Letts wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Neil Camara wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
hi

> > I am overwhelmed by the links I've seen. Which one is good for my MA311?
>
> Any probbaly -- we're talking about devices that operate at the same
> frequencies here, so the antenna which is good for a Netgear MA311 should
> be good for any card with a SMA connector on it, and vice-versa.

nope,
It has a reverse polairity sma (see link previous in the thread), which
means than it the male side of the connector ( out side) has female
inner parts. So normal sma connector won't fit or fits but doesn't
connect.

pictures:
sma: http://www.rflinx.com/images/Pigtails/SMA-F.jpg
rp-sma: http://www.rfshop.webcentral.com.au/RP-SMAf.jpg

schema: http://www.connecter.com/tech/data/img/rf_reverse-01.gif

so the cable you need looks like this:
http://www.wirelessadelaide.org.au/images/20020927/IMG_0011.jpg

> Now I'm actually sat in front of my machine I see the antenna I have is a
> SMC. I've no idea what the URL is, but the antenna itself loooks a little
> like a model of Cleopatra's Needle. part number SMCHMANT-4 if I'm reading
> this right "2.4Ghz Omnidirectional Home Antenna". Mfg part number 721J625
> or maybe 7213625 (it's spray painted in 3 point type on a textured
> surface)

IMHO it's not very usefull to an omni indoor. I would use a directional
antenna to get the signal where I need it, not just anywhere :)

Marten