Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 14:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dump/ft problem

I am running 2.2-STABLE and have recently run into an odd problem with
dumping to a floppy tape drive. If I dump a small filesystem, say / (takes
1 tape), 'dump 0uf - / | ft "dump of /"' works exactly as expected. If,
however, I try to dump a different filesystem (/usr, see fstab below) it
locks up in a really nasty way. The only outward indication I get is a
syslog message saying:

	ft0: unexpected interrupt; st0 = $20 pcn = 19

Dump stops at

	DUMP: estimated 406072 tape blocks
	DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]

And is not responsive to any signal, I have to kill the session from
another pseudo terminal. At this point, there are 5 dump processes shown
in ps and the 1 ft process, which at this point is unkillable leaving
/dev/ft0 permanently unavailable. The only way to clear this up is to
reboot (not a fun process since reboot doesn't and routed won't start
properly 9 out of 10 tries, but that's another story).

What the heck has broken, since I used to be able to do dumps (and still
can on other filesystems)? (And yes, I know I need to get a real tape
drive) By the way, whatever happened to lft, which was far nicer than ft?

-Dave

---- /etc/fstab

/dev/wd0a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd0s2e			/usr		ufs	rw 1 1