Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:52:51 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ronvdaal@zarathustra.linux666.com: Possible security issue with FreeBSD 5.4 jailing and BPF]

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On 2005.07.14 09:26:56 -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
> This message was sent to bugtraq today:

Please see the thread on full-disclosure as to why this is not an
issue.

http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-July/035036.html

Unfortunately the poster sent separate mails to full-disclosure and
bugtraq, so the followups where only set to full-disclosure (since we
saw the mail first there).

> While playing around with FreeBSD 5.4 and jailing I discovered that it was
> possible to put an ethernet interface into promiscious mode from within t=
he
> jailed environment, allowing a packetsniffer to gather data not meant for
> the jailed box. This also affects FreeBSD 5.3 (tested) but not FreeBSD 4.=
x=20
> This can be reproduced on boxes where BPF support is enabled in the kerne=
l=20
> and a BPF device is available in the jail (badly configured devfs/no rule=
s)
[...]

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen