Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:58:00 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling UFS with gjournal.

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:11:01PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>=20
> How it works (in short). You may define one or two providers which
> gjournal will use. If one provider is given, it will be used for both -
> data and journal. If two providers are given, one will be used for data
> and one for journal.
> Every few seconds (you may define how many) journal is terminated and
> marked as consistent and gjournal starts to copy data from it to the
> data provider. In the same time new data are stored in new journal.
> Let's call the moment in which journal is terminated as "journal switch".

Cool solution!  I think I'll give this a try on my redundent mirror
server at work.  I'd be curious to see how gjournal performs with the
journal on a battery backed ram disk like the gigabyte i-RAM:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=
=3D2180&ProductName=3DGC-RAMDISK

It seems like that could reduce or eliminate many of the performance
issues in practice.

-- Brooks

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi--