Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 05:52:36 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Esko Petteri Matinsola <esko@kapi.net>, Clark Shishido <clark@desktop.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum RAID-5 performance problem

Greg Lehey(grog@lemis.com)@Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 11:33:19AM +0930:
[...]
> depends on what you're trying to do.  But yes, having only two
> controllers will halve your RAID-5 write performance.  Note also that
> with a 256 kB stripe, you'll run into drive contention problems
> because all your superblocks will be on the same subdisk.  Take a size
> like 273 kB, for example.
or (now proven fact) grog's first guess to solve my config problems:
511k ;-) which ran like a charm on dang big box (32x18.3gig)
greg, you should underline that fact in your docs at a prominent
location. i think that using a plex size which is even or too small are
the most common configuration mistakes the people do...

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de