Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 18:17:24 +0100
From:      Peter Edwards <peter.edwards@isocor.ie>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

Dennis wrote:

> For "Fairness" gaps in between frames are better
> as you approach capacity of your wire.

Isn't there some ethernet requirement (implemented on the NIC) that a
transmitter holds off the wire a little to give other NICs enough time
to notice there's nothing being transmitted?

The sequence of events would be something like:

NIC1				NIC2			time |
start xmit
host queues next packet
xmit finishes
start "back-to-back" delay
				sense idle wire
				start xmit
sense access from NIC2
"back-to-back" delay ends
wait for wire idle
				xmit finishes
sense idle
start xmit

Or did I just fall asleep reading the spec and dream this.