Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:52:40 -0700
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        Lorenzo Cavassa <Lorenzo.Cavassa@ALPcom.IT>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dell or Compaq

Search the list archives for Compaq and you'll find nothing but problems.

I'd recommend the following,

o Carefully select and purchase Dell machines. Buy one and do extensive
testing on it before committing to a larger order. Search the archives for
"Dell" to find recommendations. I've got a Dell Precision 410 with 2x600 MHz
P-IIIs that runs extremely well.

o Buy uniprocessor boxes unless your testing from the first step shows a
measurable increase in performance with SMP.

o Don't go for an on-board RAID controller. Use an external RAID array (a
box of disks with a front-panel for controlling the array) with a SCSI
interface instead. Use multiple controllers and multiple arrays for speed.

o Choose your Ethernet cards carefully. The Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B or
Pro/100+ are recommended as having the highest throughput for the lowest
overhead.

o Load 'em up with RAM. PC RAM is cheap compared to Sun RAM. :^)

Charles