Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:26:42 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Integrating Custom Ports

--JBi0ZxuS5uaEhkUZ

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:03:46PM -0500, Rick Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On 12/10/2013 09:37, Rick Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > This is my first foray into Ports beyond just installing what is
> > available.
> > >  So, just looking for some feedback from others doing similar.  Is th=
ere
> > > someone that can provide a few pointers in putting together and manag=
ing
> > > such a system?
> > >

> > Rick,
> >
> > So the way we've been doing it is with git.
> >
> > I started by forking the ports tree from here:
> >
> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/
> >
> > After cloning the fork to disk, I added a new "remote" for the original
> > ports tree:
> >
> > % git remote add freebsd https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git
> >
> > I then added any custom ports / patches to our fork. When I want to
> > import changes from upstream I just go to my fork and do a new pull:
> >
> > % git pull freebsd master
> >
> > Merge any conflicts and commit.
> >
>=20
> Haha.  Thanks, Kris!  I was making this harder than it needed to be :)  I
> appreciate the simple solution!

A couple more options:  If you won't be modifying the upstream tree,
it's quite plausible to merge a local directory into a portsnap managed
ports tree using the -l option.  For another option, portshaker lets you
build custom port's tree from multiple sources.

-- Brooks

--JBi0ZxuS5uaEhkUZ

--JBi0ZxuS5uaEhkUZ--