Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:34:25 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

>>  If I try to backup something to the DAT, mainly from the scsi disk, the system
>>  panics randomly after a few megabytes (it lasts much longer when data comes
>>  from the IDEs disks but it also panics..)

> I am not sure this will help you, but I have a Adaptec 1542 and a Sony DAT.
> FreeBSD 2.x is a lot more picky about DAT use than FreeBSD 1.x, namely it does
> not like extremely large blocksizes. The problems I had were in reading a tape
> with dd or restore that was created with large blocksizes causes the system to
> panic. tar is a little more stable. try:

> /sbin/dump 0usdf 3940 61000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rsd0a

Hello,
	I too have problems with 4mmDAT and dump/restore.  I am using
an Adaptec 1542B and an HP 1533A DDS-2 4mmDAT.  In my case I can
"dump 0f /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0x" a tape, but "restore isf 1 /dev/rst0"
panics immediately.  I tried the above incantation and it works!
However I could not see how it limited blocksize (recordsize).  If
I read it right it sets the number of feet on the tape to 3940 and
the tape density to 61000 BPI.  Examinging the code (950210-SNAP) I
found that a side effect of setting density is to set the recordsize
to 32 (1024 byte) blocks.  Sure enough "dump 0bf 32 /dev/rst0
/dev/sd0a", "restore isf /dev/rst0" works.  (at least it gets to the
prompt without panicing.)

Looked at the code, found several things wrong, but nothing to
explain this.  So I rebuilt restore with -g, and paniced from
what looked like a gdb problem.  This tickled my memory about panic
problems with gdb.  Can I get the gdb binary from freefall and expect
it to work under 950210-SNAP?  My network connectivity is BAD right
now and sup'ing my system to -current is out of the question.  I
really am eager to track this problem down and fix for the 2.1
release!

					Steve Passe
					smp@clem.systemsix.com