Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:11:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doc-all collection?

> Unlike man pages which are intimately tied to specific pieces of
> code in FreeBSD, the FAQ and Handbook cut across versions and
> having 3 separate versions on 3 separate CVS branches was nothing
> more than a large headache.  They also required bringing in extra
> bloat (sgml tools) to the source tree and binary core binary
> distributions.

I considered the removal of the SGML tools a pity - I'd have liked to
be able to write man-pages in a more powerful form of markup later,
e.g. DocBook.  That way, integration between man-pages and the
handbook would probably be easier.  We can probably cross that bridge
when we come to it, though.

Eivind.