Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:41:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        stanb@netcom.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't login as root using xdm (2.2)

> Stan Brown writes:
>  > 	I have installed 2.2 on a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT. For some reason I can't
>  > 	login as root at the xdm prompt. An ordinary user works fine. root can
>  > 	login from a svag login prompt.
>  >
>  > 	What might I have wrong here?
>
> Hard to tell, but the file .xsession-errors in root's home directory
> should enlighten you.  Login as root (and fail), then switch to a text
> console, login, and examine the errors found there.  Correct them and
> (attempt) login at the XDM screen.

Check your ~root/.xsession file.
Probably, root got a new one on the installation.
I think fvwm is the default window manager there, which itself is
not installed by default.

Hope it helps,
Robert

--
Dr. Robert Eckardt                                                 (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )
>>> To be successful one needs friends,                                  <<<
>>> To be very successful one needs enemies.                             <<<
Privat:
    Steinbrink 22,  D-45355 Essen,  Germany  -====-  Telefon: +49 201 678602