Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 06:32:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merging 2 servers?

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> >	Does anyone have any advise about NIS, NFS, keeping two servers
> >but replacing one, adding RAID (and booting from it, preferably) to the
> >older server, or any other possible improvement?
>
> If you want to use NFS, make sure you move that 3.0-R box to something
> more 3.3-STABLE, or even 3.4-RC since there have been fixed quite some
> annoyances with NFS.

	Thanks.  I was planning on upgrading it once I had the time to put
aside a full day for it, just in case something went wrong.

> But what is exactly the situation you are wanting to go to?  Are you
> looking for a more centralised means of administration?  That isn't
> clear to me (then again my mind is foggy due to my cold).

	Well, for starters I'm wondering if I even need two servers.  What
advantages would there be to keeping the students on a separate server
than the staff?  I'm also wondering if it would be possible to make a less
expensive configuration by merging the two servers into one.
Specifically, if it might not be a better idea to move the staff to the
newer server and just add a second big RAID-5 array for their home
directories.  (Complain this to moving all functions of the older "staff"
server to a completely new server.  I'm sure that the array would cost
less than an array and a server, but would it be a wise decision in the
long term.)

	Any suggestions?

							Jaime