Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 04:18:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd was Re: 256MB mail server with 190+MB inactive?

Nobody else has answered to this, so I give it a try.
(Maybe someone else is wondering about the same thing and
finds this when grepping the archives.)

Sameer R. Manek wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > > > The rpc.statd process shows to be using 257M with 468K resident.
 > [...]
 >
 > USER     PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
 > root     133  0.0  0.0 262968    0  ??  IWs  -         0:00.00 (rpc.statd)
 >
 > I get the same problem, no idea what causes it to bloat like that.

There is no problem, and there is no bloat.

"VSZ" is the virtual size of the process, that is, all memory
that the process has requested.  It does not mean that actually
that much memory has been allocated (in RAM/swap) -- that's
only done if and when the process actually _uses_ those pages
of memory.

In the case of rpc.rstatd, only a small fraction of the memory
associated with the process is actually used (usually < 1 Mb).
I don't know why it requests that much memory (maybe it makes
handling the status data easier...  well, you have the source).

In your case, the process is even completely swapped out:  RSS
is zero ("resident set size", I think).  It probably has been
inactive for quite a while.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Maybe this should be in the FAQ...?

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)