Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:13:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Subject:   Re: When to use atomic_ functions? (was: 64 bit counters)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Incidently, probably 90%+ of freebsd boxes (all those that run GENERIC or
> similar) are essentially wire-oring the interrupt masks together due to the
> slip/ppp drivers in the kernel.  On most of them, splanything() pretty much
> masks all interrupts.  Check tty_imask, net_imask, and bio_imask and see
> for yourself (and check cambio/camnet as well).  We *almost* have a boolean

Er, I think someone named peter fixed this so that it only happens if
slip/ppp is actually used.  Only RELENG_3 still has the compile-time
wiring for slip.

> "interrupts on or off" state on most of these systems (not quite but
> almost).

Almost all except clock and fast interrupts.  This may be best (at
least for UP).  It's more efficient, and strict interrupt prioritisation
is rarely important.

Bruce